Monday, September 29, 2014

Getting to the Heart of Christ's Perfect Love

+
JMJ
+

Fun fact! The Holy Shroud of Turin (the burial cloth in which Jesus’ body was allegedly wrapped) and all of the approved Eucharistic miracles (namely in which the Host observably became human heart tissue) have been tested, and the blood is always type AB. Based on the information at hand, it is logical to say that Jesus Christ’s blood type is AB.

Recently, I was thinking about this while sitting in front of Jesus in the Tabernacle with a gigantic, golden statue of Him crucified above. I was looking at the image of Him pouring out His Blood for the sins of many, and I prayed to Him in the Blessed Sacrament, “I have to admit… You look like You would’ve had type O blood. You look like the universal donor.” However, I could feel it in my soul that it’s no accident that Jesus Christ had type AB blood. God’s designs are deep, profound, perfect, beautiful; this would be no different. 

So, I thought and prayed about it — what I know about God, what I know about blood donation — and I even did some research. Here, I humbly (and excitedly) present my theory:


**SPOILER ALERT: God our Creator and Father and His designs are indeed perfect**

Let’s start with the science (which is inextricably and beautifully woven with faith) put very simply:

The blood types (not accounting for Rh factor — that’s the positive or negative) are O, A, B, and AB. Here’s the breakdown for donation:

Type O can only receive type O.
Type A can receive types A or O.
Type B can receive types B or O.
Type AB can receive types AB, A, B, or O.

As you can see, type O can be given to anyone, which is why is it the “universal donor,” and type AB can receive any of the others, which is why it is the “universal recipient.”

What would happen if I received a blood transfusion? Basically, someone else’s blood would be introduced into my body. If the blood has been matched properly, it will fit right in, becoming a part of and aiding in my body’s animation and function. If the blood has not been matched properly, my body will attack it as foreign.


Now, let’s talk about Jesus Christ. While He did indeed pour out His blood for the salvation of all who accept Him, it is absolutely perfect that His blood type is that of the universal recipient. Why? Well, as Christians, we seek to be conformed to Christ. As members of His Church (a.k.a. His Mystical Body), we seek to be working members of Him, aiding in the building up of His Kingdom. We seek to be transparent so that others look at us and give glory to Him. We seek to be His hands, feet, voice, spreading His love and goodness.

So, what does Jesus’ AB blood type reassure us about these goals and aspirations as His Christian people?


All are welcome. 

Jesus receives all people who offer themselves to Him and can make each and every one of us a useful part and member of the life of His Body, which is His Church. No one is turned away or rejected. All are accepted and conformed to Him. Thanks be to God!

Now, I could stop right there, tip my hat to our Almighty Creator and the perfection of His ways, and be happily satisfied… but God didn’t stop there, so I won’t either.


That’s right. It gets even better. Because of course it does.

What I just described about AB blood being the universal recipient is true for transfusions of whole blood and red blood cells.

Another component of whole blood is plasma. And plasma changes the game.

When dealing with a strictly plasma transfusion, type AB is no longer the universal recipient; it is the universal donor.


When would a strictly plasma transfusion be used, you ask?



SO! When we’ve been burned, wounded, or otherwise traumatized, the blood of Jesus Christ fits the bill to heal one and all. Yes, this is metaphorically and spiritually true, but based on the facts we have about blood type and transfusion, it is apparently also literally and scientifically true.


No matter what, Jesus Christ can heal you and make you whole. The Precious Blood of Christ is both universal recipient and universal donor in exactly the ways we need to be made our best! Thanks be to God!

If you weren’t so sure before, you can now offer yourself to our good Lord with humble confidence in His love and mercy. You will be healed. You will be accepted. You will be conformed to Him, Who is greatness beyond compare. You are so loved!

And you best believe that it is perfect and right and just that you are loved so tremendously and completely. After all, God designed it that way, and as we saw once again with this whole Jesus’-AB-blood-type-thing, He’s simply the best at designing stuff.


Let us pray:

O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus
from all the altars throughout the world,
joining with It the offering of my every thought, word, and action of this day.
O my Jesus, I desire today to gain every indulgence and merit I can,
and I offer them, together with myself, to Mary Immaculate,
that she may best apply them in the interests of Thy Most Sacred Heart.
Precious Blood of Jesus, save us!
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment